Graduate Theological Union
Jerome P. Baggett
Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University
Professor of Religion and Society
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2000
S.T.L., Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley
Ph.D., Graduate Theological Union
M.T.S., Weston School of Theology
A.B., Boston College
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Religion, Democracy and Civil Society
- Spirituality and the Religious Quest in Modern America
- Catholic Parishes and Civic Participation; Sociology of American Catholicism
- Religion and Social Theory; Sociology of Religion; Religion and Cultural Analysis
- Volunteering, Charitable Giving and Religion
- Religion and Politics in the U.S.
- Sense of the Faithful: An End and Beginning of American Catholicism, Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- "The Poor Will Always Be With Us? Poverty in the Biblical Tradition and in Modern Society," in Ronald Y. Nakasone, ed., The Transforming Spiritual Landscape: Buddhist-Christian Encounters, Dharma Cloud Publishers, 2005.
- "The Catholic Citizen: Perennial Puzzle or Emergent Oxymoron?" Social Compass, 2006.
- "Congregations and Civil Society: A Double-Edged Connection," Journal of Church and State, 2002.
- Habitat for Humanity: Building Private Homes, Building Public Religion, Temple University Press, 2001.