Graduate Theological Union
Peter Yuichi Clark
American Baptist Seminary of the West
Professor of Pastoral Care
Director of Spiritual Care Services at UCSF Medical Center
At GTU since 2003
PhD, Emory University, 2001
MDiv, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1991
BA, Baylor University, 1987
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Spiritual care in Asian American and Pacific Islander populations
- Dynamics of aging and religious faith
- Implications of Buddhist-Christian interreligious dialogue for pastoral caregiving
- Spiritual assessment based on the capacity for hoping/hopefulness
- Cultural competence and humility in spiritual caregiving
- Clinical Pastoral Education
- “Care and Service,” in Asian American Religious Cultures, ABC-CLIO, 2015.
- “Baptists,” in Religion: A Clinical Guide for Nurses, Springer Publishing Company, 2012.
- “Tending to Trees of Life… and Hope” [ACPE Theory Paper of the Year], Journal of Supervision and Training in Ministry, 2006.
- "Exploring the Pastoral Dynamics of Mixed-Race Persons," Pastoral Psychology, 2004.
- "Compassion among Aging Nisei Japanese Americans," in Revealing the Sacred in Asian and Pacific America, Routledge, 2003.
- "Biblical Themes for Pastoral Care Revisited: An Asian American Re-reading of a Classic Pastoral Care Text," Semeia, 2002, and in revised form in Pastoral Psychology, 2006.