Graduate Theological Union
Peter Yuichi Clark
American Baptist Seminary of the West
Professor of Pastoral Care
Director of Spiritual Care Services for UCSF Medical Center
At GTU since 2003
Ph.D., Emory University, 2001
M.Div., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1991
B.A., Baylor University, 1987
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Spiritual care in Asian American and Pacific Islander populations
- Dynamics of aging and religious faith
- Implications of Buddhist-Christian interreligious dialogue for pastoral caregiving
- Spiritual assessment based on the capacity for hoping/hopefulness
- Cultural competence and humility in spiritual caregiving
- Clinical Pastoral Education
- “Care and Service,” in Asian and Oceanic American Religious Cultures: An Encyclopedia, ABC-CLIO, expected in Spring 2013.
- “Baptists,” in Religion: A Clinical Guide for Nurses, Springer Publishing Company, 2012.
- “Tending to Trees of Life… and Hope” [ACPE Theory Paper of the Year], Journal of Supervision and Training in Ministry, 2006.
- "Exploring the Pastoral Dynamics of Mixed-Race Persons," Pastoral Psychology, 2004.
- "Compassion among Aging Nisei Japanese Americans," in Revealing the Sacred in Asian and Pacific America, Routledge, 2003.
- "Biblical Themes for Pastoral Care Revisited: An Asian American Re-reading of a Classic Pastoral Care Text," Semeia, 2002, and in revised form in Pastoral Psychology, 2006.