Graduate Theological Union
Robert B. Coote
San Francisco Theological Seminary
Senior Research Professor of Hebrew Exegesis and Old Testament
Core Doctoral Faculty
At GTU since 1975
Ph.D., Harvard, 1972
B.D. (M.Div.), Harvard, 1969
A.B., Harvard, 1966
Phone: 510/ 647- 9089
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- The Politics of Tribalism in Biblical History
- The use of the Scriptures in the New Testament
- Modernist biblical introduction
- “Scripture and the Writer of Mark,” in The Interface of Orality and Writing: Speaking, Seeing, Writing in the Shaping of New Genres, Mohr Siebeck, 2010.
- “Back to the Future: The Old Testament and Its Interpretation in the Cross-Cultural World,” The Korean Journal of Old Testament Studies, 2010.
- “‘Let This House Be Healed’ (Psalm 51),” in Religion und Krankheit,Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 2010.
- “Critical Perspective in Biblical Studies,” in Religious Studies News: Spotlight on Theological Education, 2008.
- “The Davidic Date of J,” in To Break Every Yoke: Essays in Honor of Marvin L. Chaney, Sheffield Phoenix, 2007.
- “Tribalism in Ancient Palestine and the Hebrew Bible,” in Ancient Israel: The Old Testament in Its Social Context, Fortress Press, 2006.