Graduate Theological Union
Jeffrey Mark Burns
Franciscan School of Theology
Director of The Academy of American Franciscan History
Part-time faculty member
At GTU since 1990
PhD in US History, University of Notre Dame, 1982
MA in US History, University of Notre Dame, 1978
BA in English and History, UC Riverside, 1976
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- US Catholic history
- Immigration history
- US Social Justice
- Evangelization and Mission since 1492
- Catholic San Francisco: Sesquicentennial Essays, Archives of the Archdiocese of SF, 2005.
- We are the Church: A History of the Diocese of Oakland, Editions du Signe, 2002.
- Keeping the Faith: European and Asian Immigrants (with Joseph White and Ellen Skerrit), Orbis Books, 2000.
- A History of the Archdiocese of San Francisco (Volumes 1-3), Editions du Signe, 1999-2001.
- Disturbing the Peace: A History of the Christian Family Movement, 1949-1974, University of Notre Dame Press, 1999.
- “Mexican Americans and the Catholic Church in California, 1910-1965” in Hispanic Catholics in the United States, University of Notre Dame Press, 1994.