Graduate Theological Union
Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
Professor of New Testament
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2006
Ph.D., Yale University, 1975
M.Div., Union Theological Seminary
M.A., B.A., Abilene Christian University
- Contested Spaces: Houses and Temples in Roman Antiquity and the New Testament, ed. (with Annette Weissenrieder), Mohr Siebeck, 2012, including two chapters: “The Church Sitting in a Garden (1 Cor 14:30; Rom 16:23; Mark 6:39-40; 8:6; John 6:3, 10; Acts 1:15; 2:1-2),” and “Cult Statues of Augustus' Temple of Apollo on the Palatine in Rome, Artemis'/Diana's Birthday in Ephesus, and Revelation 12:1-5a.”
- “Values of Roman Women Including Priests Visually Represented in Pompeii and Herculaneum," pp. 3-49 with 20 plates, in Finding a Woman’s Place: Essays in Honor of Carolyn Osiek, eds. David L. Balch and Jason T. Lamoreaux (Princeton Theological Monograph Series; Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2011).
- Roman Domestic Art and Early House Churches (Mohr-Siebeck, 2008).
- “From Endymion in Roman Domus to Jonah in Christian Catacombs: From Houses of the Living to Houses for the Dead. Iconography and Religion in Transition,” in Roman Burials: Commemorating the Dead in Texts and Artifacts, ed. Brink and Green (de Gruyter, 2008).
- “’A Woman Clothed with the Sun’ and the ’Great Red Dragon’ Seeking to ’Devour Her Child’ (Rev 12:1, 4) in Roman Domestic Art,” in The New Testament and Early Christian Literature: Studies in Honor of David E. Aune, ed. J. Fotopoulos (SuppNT 122; 2006).
- “Zeus, Vengeful Protector of the Political and Domestic Order: Frescoes in Dining Rooms N and P of the House of the Vettii in Pompeii, Mark 13:12-13, and 1 Clement 6.2,” in Picturing the NT: Studies in Ancient Visual Images, ed. A. Weissenrieder (WUNT 2.193; 2005).