Graduate Theological Union
Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
Research Professor in Practical Theology
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2005
B.A. Gustavus Adolphus College, St Peter, Minnesota 1958
B.D. Augustana Theological Seminary, Rock Island, Illinois 1962
Ph.D. Drew University, Madison, New Jersey 1970
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Practical theology for ministry
- Formation for ministry
- Dying and grieving
- Pastoral care and empathy
- Marriage and family, sustaining diversity of forms and flexibility of functions
- Practical theology as an organizing framework to overcome fragmentation in the practices of ministry
- Faith’s Wisdom for Daily Living (with Bonnie Miller-McLemore), Augsburg Fortress, 2008.
- Mutuality Matters: Family, Faith, and Just Love, ed. with Edward Foley, Bonnie Miller-McLemore, and Robert Schreiter, Rowman & Littlefield, Inc 2004.
- Jacob’s Shadow: Christian Perspectives on Masculinity, Bridge Resources, 2002.
- Mighty Stories, Dangerous Rituals (with Edward Foley), Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1998.
- The Family and Pastoral Care, Fortress Press, 1984.
- All Our Losses, All our Griefs (with Kenneth Mitchell), Westminster/John Knox Press, 1983.