Graduate Theological Union
Joseph P. Chinnici, O.F.M.
Franciscan School of Theology
President and Professor of History
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 1976
D. Phil. Oxon. (Oxford University), 1976
Current Research and Teaching Interests
Interpreting the Church Today
- Church and Society 1945-1985
- The History and Development of Franciscan Theology
- Sexual Abuse in Church and Society, A Franciscan Perspective on Power, Prestige, Property, Orbis Books, 2010.
- “An Historian’s Creed and the Emergence of Postconciliar Culture Wars,” The Catholic Historical Review XCIV, 2008.
- “Dignitatis Humanae Personae: Surveying the Landscape for Its Reception in the United States,” U.S Catholic Historian, 2006.
- General Editor, The Franciscan Heritage Series: Volume IV:: Michael Guinan, OFM, The San Damiano Crucifix, The Gospel of John, and St. Francis, with Introduction by Joseph P. Chinnici, OFM (St. Bonaventure, New York: The Franciscan Institute, 2006).
- “The Catholic Community at Prayer, 1926-1976,” in Habits of Devotion, Catholic Religious Practice in Twentieth-Century America, Cornell University Press, 2004.
Prayer and Practice in the American Catholic Community (With Sr. Angelyn Dries, O.S.F., eds.), Orbis Press, 2000.