Graduate Theological Union
Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University
Associate Professor of Christology and Cultures
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2006
PhD, Boston College, 2006
MPhil, School of Slavonic and Eastern European Studies at University College London, 2002
MSc, London School of Economics, 1996
BA, MA Oxford, 1995
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Patristic Theology
- Patristic Spirituality
- Comparative Theology (especially Christian- Buddhist dialogue)
- Tibetan Buddhism
- Contemporary Systematic Theology
- Theodore the Stoudite: Writings on Iconoclasm and the Spiritual Life, Newman/Paulist Press, 2012.
- Perceiving the Divine Through the Human Body: Mystical Sensuality, ed. (with June McDaniel), Palgrave McMillan, 2011.
- “Basil of Caesarea’s De Spiritu Sancto and Haexameron" , introductory chapter to the Chinese translation of these two works published by Zhejiang University Press, 2011.
- “Salvific asymmetry: anhypostasy and icon veneration in Theodore the Studite’s Antirrhetici”, in Studia Patristica, 2011.
- “Why Images? Visualized Deities and Glorified Saints in Vajrayāna Buddhism and Patristic Theology”, Journal of Philosophy and Education, Salesian Institute of Philosophy in India, 2010.
- Divine Contingency: Theologies of Divine Embodiment in Maximos the Confessor and Tsong kha pa, Gorgias Press, 2009.