Graduate Theological Union
Associate Professor of Christology and Cultures
Dwan Family Endowed Chair in Ecumenical and Interfaith Dialogue
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2006
PhD, Boston College, 2006
MPhil, School of Slavonic and Eastern European Studies at University College London, 2002
MSc, London School of Economics, 1996
BA, MA Oxford, 1995
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Patristic Theology
- Patristic Spirituality
- Comparative Theology (especially Christian- Buddhist dialogue)
- Tibetan Buddhism
- Contemporary Systematic Theology
- Theologies of the Sacred Image in Theodore the Studite and Bokar Rinpoche, Gorgias Press, forthcoming.
- Death Dying and Mysticism: The Ecstasy of the End, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Theodore the Stoudite: Writings on Iconoclasm and the Spiritual Life, Newman/Paulist Press, 2014.
- "Ground and Manifestation: a Christian Reading of the Kun-byed Rgyal-po in Conversation with Origen's De Principiis", in You Bin (ed.) Acts of the October 2014 Minzu University Conference on Interreligious Dialogue, Minzu University, Beijing, 2015.
- "An Evagrian ὑπόστασις? Leontios of Byzantium's understanding of subjectivity in Contra Nestorianos et Eutychianos", in Studia Patristica, 2014.
- "Normative texts and multiple meanings: rescuing alternative voices in Origen's and Tsong kha pa's approaches to scriptural interpretation", in Religions East and West, 2012.