Graduate Theological Union
George E. Griener, S.J.
Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University
Associate Professor of Historical and Systematic Theology
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 1989
ThD, Eberhard-Karls University, 1989
MA, University of St. Michael's College, 1975
MDiv, Regis College, 1973
BS, Spring Hill College, 1967
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Roman Catholic Enlightenment
- History of 18th - 19th Century Theology
- Theology of Suffering
- Theology of the Trinity; The Christian God
- The Human Person
- Karl Rahner's Philosophy of Religion
- Ernst Troeltsch and Herman Schell: Christianity and the World Religions. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang Verlag, 1990.
- “Karl Rahner: Pastoral Theologian,” in Finding God in All Things: Celebrating Bernard Lonergan, John Courtney Murray, and Karl Rahner. Ed. Mark Bosco and David Stagaman, Fordham, 2007.
- “Rahner and the Pacific Rim: From the Kulturkampf to China’s Cultural Christians,” in Rahner Beyond Rahner: A Great Theologian Encounters the Pacific Rim. Ed. Paul Crowley, Rowman and Littlefield, 2005.
- “Theology of Suffering In a Culture of Narcissism,” in Living Theology. Manila: Jesuit Conference of East Asia and Oceania, Ed. J. M. Francisco, 2001.
“Theology of history,” in The Harper Collins Encyclopedia of Catholicism, Ed. Richard P. McBrien, Harper Collins, 1995.
“End of the material world,” in The Harper Collins Encyclopedia of Catholicism, Ed. Richard P. McBrien, Harper Collins, 1995.