Graduate Theological Union
Assistant Professor of Christian Spirituality and Historical Studies
Dean, Center for Swedenborgian Studies
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2001
Ph.D., Graduate Theological Union (2012)
D.Min., Graduate Theological Foundation (1991)
M.Div. equiv., Swedenborg School of Religion (1984)
B.A., University of Texas at Austin (1978)
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Protestant Spiritual Disciplines and Practice
- Hermeneutics and Biblical Spirituality
- Theory and Practice of Engaged Spirituality
- Heterodoxy and New Religious Movements
- Sports and Spirituality
- Principles in Play: Essays in Honor of George Dole, editor. Berkeley: Studia Swedenborgiana Press, 2010.
- “Telling the Old, Old Story Anew: George Dole’s Developmentalist Reading of the Bible,” in Principles in Play: Essays in Honor of George Dole. Berkeley: Studia Swedenborgiana Press, 2010.
- “Swedenborgian Spirituality,” in The New Westminster Dictionary of Christian Spirituality, ed. Philip Sheldrake. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2005.
- “All in the Family: Reading a Swedenborgian Pluralism in the High Christology of John 14:1-7,” Studia Swedenborgiana, v. 13, n. 1, 2003.
- “An Extraordinary Season in Prayer: Warren Felt Evans’s Journey into ‘Scientific’ Swedenborgian Spiritual Practice,” Studia Swedenborgiana, v. 12, n. 3, 2002.
- “Swedenborg’s Trail in the Coleridgean Landscape,” Studia Swedenborgiana, v. 11, n. 2, 1999.