Graduate Theological Union
Mary E. McGann (RSCJ)
Franciscan School of Theology
Associate Professor of Liturgy and Music
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 1996
Ph.D. Graduate Theological Union 1996
M.A. University of Notre Dame 1980
M.A. LaSalle University 1974
B.Mus. Manhattanville College 1965
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Ritual Studies in Liturgical Scholarship
- Ecology and Liturgy
- Women, Spirituality, and Worship
- Ethnography of Ritual Performance
- Inculturation and Liturgy
- Liturgy and Spirituality
- “Committed to the Waters for Life: Baptism in a Time of Global Water Crisis,” in Drenched in Grace: Essays in Baptismal Ecclesiology, Lizette Larson Miller and Walter Knowles, eds. (Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, forthcoming).
- "Musical Liturgical Ethnography: Challenges and Promise." In Jaarboek voor liturgieonderzoek 26. (2010) Tilburg, the Netherlands: Instituut vor Liturgische en Rituele Studies.
- “Teaching Rites Ritually,” in Teaching Ritual, Catherine Bell, ed. (Oxford University Press, 2007).
- Let It Shine! The Emergence of African-American Catholic Worship (with contributions from Eva Marie Lumas, SSS, and Ronald D. Harbor) (New York: Fordham University Press, 2008).
- Precious Fountain: Music in the Worship of an African-American Catholic Community (Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2004).
- Exploring Music as Worship and Theology: Research in Liturgical Practice. (Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2004).