Graduate Theological Union
James A. Noel
San Francisco Theological Seminary
H. Eugene Farlough, Jr. California Professor of African American Christianity
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 1988
Ph.D. Graduate Theological Union
M.Div. San Francisco Theological Seminary
B.A. University of California at Berkeley
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- American Church History
- Black Church History
- African-American Religious Experience
- Urban Ministry
- Diasporic Images, 2013.
- Black Religion & the Imagination of Matter in the Atlantic World, Palgrave, 2009.
- The Passion of the Lord: African American Reflections (co-edited with Matthew V. Johnson) Augsburg/Fortress Press, 2005.
- “Nat is Back: The Return of the Re/Oppressed,” in Onesimus Our Brother: Reading Race, Religion and Slavery in Philemon, edited by Matthew V. Johnson, James A. Noel, Demetrius K. Williams, Fortress Press, 2009.
- “African American Art & Biblical Interpretation,” in True to Our Native Land: An African American New Testament Commentary, edited by Brian Blount, Augsburg Fortress Press, 2006.