Graduate Theological Union
Scott A. Mitchell
Institute of Buddhist Studies
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2008
PhD, Graduate Theological Union, 2008
MA, Institute of Buddhist Studies/Graduate Theological Union, 2002
BA, San Francisco State University, 1999
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Buddhism in Western contexts
- Pure Land Buddhism
- Postcolonial studies of religion
- Ritual studies
- Media studies
- Buddhism in America: Global Religion, Local Contexts, forthcoming 2016.
- Buddhism Beyond Borders: New Perspectives on Buddhism in the United States, co-authored with Natalie E.F. Quli, SUNY Press, 2015.
- “The Tranquil Meditator: representing Buddhism and Buddhists in US popular media,” Religion Compass, 2014.
- “‘Christianity is for Rubes; Buddhism is for Actors’: Media Representations of Buddhism in the Wake of the Tiger Woods Scandal,” The Journal of Global Buddhism, 2012.
- “Locally Translocal American Shin Buddhism,” Pacific World: the Journal of the Institute of Buddhist Studies Third Series, 2010.
- “Sunday Morning Songs: English Language Gāthās in American Shinshū Temples,” The Pure Land, 2006.