Graduate Theological Union
Scott A. Mitchell
Institute of Buddhist Studies
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2008
Ph.D., Graduate Theological Union, 2008
M.A., Institute of Buddhist Studies/Graduate Theological Union, 2002
B.A., San Francisco State University, 1999
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Buddhism in Western contexts
- Pure Land Buddhism
- Postcolonial studies of religion
- Ritual studies
- Media studies
- An Introduction to Buddhism in the United States, Bloomsbury Press, forthcoming.
- Buddhism Beyond Borders: New Perspectives on Buddhism in the United States, co-authored with Natalie E.F. Quli, SUNY Press, forthcoming.
- “The Tranquil Meditator: representing Buddhism and Buddhists in US popular media,” Religion Compass, 2014.
- “‘Christianity is for Rubes; Buddhism is for Actors’: Media Representations of Buddhism in the Wake of the Tiger Woods Scandal,” The Journal of Global Buddhism, 2012.
- “Locally Translocal American Shin Buddhism,” Pacific World: the Journal of the Institute of Buddhist Studies Third Series, 2010.
- “Sunday Morning Songs: English Language Gāthās in American Shinshū Temples,” The Pure Land, 2006.