Graduate Theological Union
Scott A. Mitchell
Institute of Buddhist Studies
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2008
Ph.D., Graduate Theological Union, 2008
M.A., Institute of Buddhist Studies/Graduate Theological Union, 2002
B.A., San Francisco State University, 1999
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Buddhism in Western contexts
- Pure Land Buddhism
- Postcolonial studies of religion
- Ritual studies
- Media studies
- “‘Buddhism is for Actors’: U.S. Media Representations of Buddhism in the Wake of the Tiger Woods Scandal,” Journal of Global Buddhism, 2012.
- “Buddhism, media, and popular culture,” in Buddhism in the Modern World, Routledge, 2012.
- “Locally Translocal American Shin Buddhism,” Pacific World, Fall 2010.
- “Sunday Morning Songs: English Language Gathas in American Shinshu Temples,” The Pure Land, 2006.