Graduate Theological Union
Augustine Thompson, O.P.
Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology
Professor of History
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2009
S.T.M., The Order of Preachers, 2007
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1988
M.Div., Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, 1985
B.A., Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, 1980
M.A., John Hopkins University, 1976
B.A., John Hopkins University, 1976
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Medieval Church History, especially of Italy
- Medieval Philosophy, Theology, and Lay Piety
- History of Canon Law, preaching and the Mendicant Orders
- Francis of Assisi: A New Biography, Cornell University Press, 2012.
- "The Origins of Religious Mendicancy in Medieval Europe." The Origin, Development, and Refinement of Medieval Religious Mendicancies, Brill, 2011.
- "The First Witch Trial in Italy: Todi, 1428." Medieval Italy: A Documentary History, Univ. of Pennsylvania Press, 2009.
- Cities of God: The Religion of the Italian Communes, 1125–1325, Penn State Univ. Press, 2005. [Winner of the ACHA Howard R. Marraro Prize for best book published in Italian history, 2006.]
- "From Texts to Preaching: Retrieving the Medieval Sermon as an Event." Preacher, Sermon and Audience in the Middle Ages, Brill, 2002.
Revival Preachers and Politics: The Great Devotion of 1233, Oxford Univ. Press, 1992.