Graduate Theological Union
Associate Professor of Historical and Cultural Studies
Core Doctoral Faculty
At GTU since 2000
PhD., Yale University, 1996
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- LGBTQ Religious History
- Welcoming Christianities
- History of Sexuality
- Medieval Social and Religious History
- Queer Studies
- LGBTQ Pastoral Care
- Ministry Among God’s Queer Folk: LGBT Pastoral Care, Pilgrim Press, 2007.
- “Reading Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality as a Call to Action: Boswell and Gay-Affirming Movements in American Christianity.” In The Boswell Thesis, University of Chicago Press, 2005.
- “‘The Dead Sea of Sodomy’: Giordano da Pisa on Men Who Have Sex With Men.” In Queer Italia: Same-Sex Desire In Italian Literature And Film, Palgrave MacMillan, 2004.
- “The Inquisition.” In Reader’s Guide to Lesbian and Gay Studies, Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 2000.
- “Foundresses of the Franciscan Life: Umiliana Cerchi and Margaret of Cortona,” Viator 29,1998.
- “Saints Basil and John Chrysostom on the Education of Christian Children,” Greek Orthodox Theological Review, 1991.