Graduate Theological Union
Pacific School of Religion
Assistant Professor of Art and Religion
Core Doctoral Faculty Member
At GTU since 2009
PhD, University of Maryland, College Park, 2005
MA, Southern Methodist University, 1999
MA, Sofia University, 1995
BA, Sofia University, 1994
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art
- Western Medieval Art
- Islamic Art
“‘The Salvation of the Soul and the Road to Heaven’: A Fourteenth-Century Interpretation of
John Klimakos’ Heavenly Ladder,” in Byzantine Images and their Afterlives: Essays in Honor of Annemarie Weyl Carr, Ashgate, 2014.
- “Transformative Narratives and Shifting Identities in the Narthex of the Boiana Church,” Dumbarton Oaks Papers, 2012.
- "Healing the Body, Saving the Soul: Viewing Christ's Healing Ministry in Byzantium," in Healing in Byzantium: Faith and Science, Holy Cross Press, 2010.
- "Prayer and Penance in the South Bay of Chora Esonarthex," Gesta, 2009.
- "Images of Christ Emmanuel in Karanlik Kilise," Studies in Iconography, 2008.