Graduate Theological Union
Naomi Sheindel Seidman
Koret Professor of Jewish Culture
At GTU since 1995
PhD, University of California, Berkeley, 1995
MA, University of California, Davis, 1984
BA, Brooklyn College, 1981
Current Research and Teaching Interests
- Translation Studies; Translating the Bible
- The Sexual Transformation of Ashkenaz; Haskalah Literature
- Psychoanalysis and translation
- Gender and Orthodox Judaism
- A Revolution in the Name of Tradition: The Emergence of Orthodox Girls’ Education in Interwar Poland, Littman Library, 2018.
- The Marriage Plot, Or, How Jews Fell in Love with Love, and with Literature, Stanford University Press, 2016
- Faithful Renderings: Jewish-Christian Difference and the Politics of Translation, University of Chicago, 2006.
- A Marriage Made in Heaven: The Sexual Politics of Hebrew and Yiddish, University of California, 1997.