Graduate Theological Union
Users of the Library expect to have:
- an environment free of disruptive activity such as cell phone use,
- access to library materials or an ability to recall them according to library policy,
- journals, documents, and books that are complete and unmarked,
- surroundings and library collections free from the problems caused by food, beverages, and other damaging substances.
To ensure a pleasant and productive environment for study and research the following GTU Library Conduct Policy has been formulated. Users are asked to familiarize themselves with this policy and abide by its rules. The Library will actively pursue disciplinary action, prosecution, or other legal action for the offenses listed below. Misuse of the Library is a violation of the California Education Code, the California Civil Code and Penal Code. The GTU Library Conduct Policy is based on these codes.
Any person who commits or attempts to commit any of the offenses stated below, whether a member of the GTU community or not, may be asked to leave the campus, and may be subject to other sanctions (including suspension, prosecution, forfeiture, warning, and restitution), as applicable under the law/ policy in question.
- Removing or attempting to remove library materials, equipment, or property without proper checkout or other official Library authorization.
- Mutilating library materials by marking, underlining, removing pages or portions of pages, removing binding, removing electronic theft devices, using post-its and paper clips or in any other way damaging or defacing library materials.
- Concealing library materials in the Library for the exclusive use of an individual or group.
- Failing to pay the Library for fee-based services, lost or damaged materials, and other charges.
- Bringing food or beverage containers or consuming food in the Library or beverages other than water in clear, closed containers in the public areas of the Library.
- Smoking or using smokeless tobacco on Library property, except in the patio seating area directly in front of the entrance. All smoking materials must be extinguished before entering the building.
- Causing a disturbance or engaging in any behavior which interferes with normal use of the Library such as using a cell phone.
- Behaving in a way that interferes with an employee’s performance of his/her duties – including verbal abuse, intimidation, sexual harassment, or harassment on account of race, religion, ethnic background, gender, or sexual orientation.
- Being in unauthorized areas of the Library, remaining in the Library after closing or when requested to leave during emergence situations, drills, or when not abiding by the GTU Library Conduct Policy.
- Parking wheeled vehicles in unauthorized parking areas near the Library entrance or bringing bicycles into the building.
- Rollerblading, skateboarding, or skating on GTU property.
- Bringing in animals except those trained to assist persons with disabilities.
- Carrying weapons in the Library unless authorized by law.
- Vandalizing or defacing the Library building, furniture, or equipment.
- Maliciously accessing, altering, deleting, damaging, or destroying any computer system, network, computer program, or data.