Graduate Theological Union
To place a request, please follow these steps:
- Check GRACE, the GTU Library catalog to see if GTU owns the item. ILL requests will not be accepted for items that are held at the GTU Library (including SFTS, PAOI, and SHS materials) even if those books are currently checked out, unless the items have the status "LOST." An ILL request is not necessary for materials held at SFTS, PAOI, or SHS; please request such items at the Circulation Desk and they will be paged. If the item you seek is currently checked out, the item can be recalled. Contact the Circulation Desk at 510-649-2500 to request a recall.
- Check OskiCat, the library catalog of the University of California, Berkeley to see if the item is there. PLEASE NOTE!!! Because GTU students, faculty, and visiting scholars may borrow materials directly from the Library of the University of California at Berkeley, items held at UCB cannot be requested via ILL unless declared missing from UCB's collection or are on reserve for UCB classes. If the item is checked out, GTU cardholders should request that the item be recalled. Recall requests may be made at Doe Library on the UCB campus. For more information, see the Guide to UCB Libraries.
- Check OSCAR, the library catalog for Santa Clara University to see if the item is there. If the item is at SCU, please fill out the Santa Clara University Request Form (fill out online and print or e-mail). Normal ILL loan periods apply to requests from SCU, including books labeled "GTU Storage Santa Clara" in GRACE. The normal ILL loan period is 4 weeks, and you may request a renewal.
- If the material you desire is not at GTU, UCB or SCU, please fill out an ILL request form. Forms can be obtained at the Reference Desk of the GTU Library or fill out the appropriate form below. Please provide complete bibliographic information, including publisher, date, volume and/or edition. If you can, note the source of the reference. If you would like the ILL material delivered to SFTS for pick-up, please note so at the bottom of the form.
You may request up to five items at a time. If you need more than five items, you may submit another request up to five items every two weeks.
(fill out online and print or e-mail)
NOTICE WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS: The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or other reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Borrowing ILL Materials
- We cannot borrow from international libraries and institutions.
- Interlibrary loan material is generally available for pickup within two to four working weeks of the date that your request was submitted. Some material, if readily available via local libraries, will be available sooner. If you are requesting material that is only available out of state, or rare, please allow for extra time as needed.
- Loan periods for ILL materials is determined by the lending library. The average circulation period is two weeks.
- You will be notified via e-mail or telephone when your material arrives. Materials can be picked up at the Circulation Desk during open hours of the Library.
- Materials borrowed from other libraries may be returned to the Circulation Desk, the GTU Library book drop, or the SFTS branch library.
- If you have requested photocopied materials, you will be notified by e-mail or telephone when they arrive and the amount you owe upon pickup. (Photocopies are $.10/page.)
Want to find out the status of your request? Call the ILL department at 649-2502 Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.