Graduate Theological Union

Health Insurance

The Graduate Theological Union and participating member schools and institutions sponsor a medical insurance plan designed to provide students with complete medical coverage at a very reasonable cost.  The plan is with Kaiser Permanente, one of the largest health plans in California, with over 8,000 physicians at more than 150 locations in northern and southern California to serve you. The HIPS plan has a $500/person, $1,000/family deductible, 20% coinsurance after the deductible due for in-patient hospital care and out-patient surgery, and related tests and labs, and a $40 co-payment. However, there is no charge for preventative care.

This health insurance plan is available to students enrolled for at least three or more credits or units per semester in a degree or certificate program at one of the following institutions (JST and PLTS do not participate in this program; if you have questions or need more information contact the person listed below for your school):

If you are enrolled for nine (9) or more credits or units in any one semester, you must enroll in the GTU HIPS program, or provide proof of health insurance that has comparable benefits and costs. Enrollment in the HIPS plan is for the twelve months of the academic year beginning on September 1, 2016 and ending on August 31, 2017. Unless your eligibility to participate in the program changes, you will be enrolled for the entire year. If you enroll in spring semester, the plan becomes effective February 1, 2017. The rates for the HIPS plan are:

  Per Semester Per Year
Student $1718.70 $3437.40
Student and Spouse $3781.14 $7562.28
Student and Child(ren) $3437.40 $6874.80
Student and Family $5499.84 $10,999.68


Student enrollment periods are August 22 to September 16, 2016 and January 16 through February 10, 2017.

To enroll in the GTU HIPS program or to provide information about membership in a comparable plan and, therefore, waive out of the GTU program, go to

If you run into problems trying to enroll in or waive out of the GTU plan and can not resolve your problems before the end of the fall or spring deadlines (see above), complete the appropriate form and submit it to the contact person at your school listed above:

GTU Student Health Insurance Enrollment Form

GTU Student Health Insurance Waiver Form


For further information, contact the person listed above for your school.  And, your Business Office, Registrar, or Office of Student Affairs may also be able to help.